Summer is that momentous time of the year when graduation celebrations, family reunions, vacations, weddings, and the start of new jobs are on the horizon. Of course, we all want to look our best, and whitening our teeth can help to achieve the look we want for those photo-ready moments. A professional tooth whitening treatment is a safe and effective way to brighten your smile. At your next dental visit, speak to your dentist to learn if you are a good candidate for tooth whitening and what options would be right for you.
WHO IS A GOOD CANDIDATE FOR PROFESSIONAL TOOTH WHITENING?
- Patients with healthy gums, no tooth decay, and have stable and healthy dental fillings.
WHO HAS LIMITATIONS FOR PROFESSIONAL TOOTH WHITENING?
- Children under 16 years old
- Pregnant/Nursing mothers
- Patients with active tooth decay, excessive tooth wear/erosion, periodontal disease, and/or exposed root surfaces
- Patients allergic to Peroxide (ingredient in whitening products)
- Patients with highly sensitive teeth
- Patients with large restorations on anterior (front) teeth
WHAT ELSE SHOULD I BE AWARE OF BEFORE WHITENING MY TEETH?
- The whitening treatments will ONLY whiten tooth structure and will NOT have any whitening effect on your existing restorations (fillings,crowns, veneers, or bridges). Therefore, patients with restorations on anterior (front) teeth should be aware of this and speak to their dentist before deciding to whiten their teeth.
- Certain types of tooth staining respond better to whitening treatments than others. Yellow stains usually respond best, while teeth that have been discolored by medication (e.g. tetracycline) or trauma may not respond well to whitening treatments.
- You should have realistic expectations about the potential treatment outcome. Everyone responds differently to whitening treatments based on individual differences in staining, tooth composition, and tooth sensitivity. It is difficult to predict how much of an improvement can be achieved, and thus it is unrealistic to expect a 100% ideal white smile for everyone. Occasionally, multiple applications are needed to achieve the result you desire.
- Tooth sensitivity is a possible side effect after tooth whitening.
WHAT TYPE OF PROFESSIONAL WHITENING TREATMENTS ARE AVAILABLE?
At Leary Family Dentistry we offer three options for whitening your teeth:
- In-Office Bleaching (Opalescence (R) Boost): During your appointment, a chemically-activated whitening gel is applied to your teeth, yielding whiter teeth after only 40 minutes. This treatment option includes fabrication of custom bleaching trays and a kit of bleaching gel for you to continue to whiten your teeth at home as desired.
- Custom Bleaching Trays: Impressions are taken to fabricate custom bleaching trays. Treatment includes one complimentary 30-minute Opalescence-Quik whitening treatment upon delivery of your trays. You will also be given your first kit of bleaching gel to whiten with at home.
- Opalescence-Go : a 10-day take-home professional tooth whitening kit. Includes disposable/pre-sized trays.
HOW DO I CHOOSE THE RIGHT OPTION FOR ME?
- If you would like immediate results: In-Office Bleaching.
- If you prefer to whiten at home and will want to whiten again in the future: Custom Bleaching Trays
- If you are looking for a fast one-time treatment: Opalescence-Go